Feb 3, 2009

The Tonsils Must Go!

Today I took Kristin to her appointment with the ENT. First of all, our trip to Fayetteville was quite an adventure..my "shortcut" turned out not to be so short since I was stopped in the middle of traffic for over 5 minutes then re-routed, due to ice storm clean-up. I was glad Kristin was napping so she didn't hear my occasional "IDIOTS" and "MORONS" outbursts. (Lynn and I come by our "driving talk" honestly....thanks, Dad!) We managed to get there on time...her appt. was at 3:15, we were told to be there at 2:45 to fill out paperwork and I pulled into the parking lot at 2:43!

Kristin was very good during the visit. Everyone in the office was so nice and we both really liked Dr. Davis. (Everytime I say his name I have flashbacks from college). He checked Kristin out and was very concerned about her continuous fever and said her tonsils need to come out as soon as possible (no waiting around for spring break!). He's also taking out her adenoids, but is holding off on ear tubes...he believes all her ear trouble is due to the tonsils and adenoids. Kristin stayed very quiet and still while we talked and would raise her hand when she had a question, and she asked good questions...she wanted to know if she would feel the tonsils being taken out, how long her throat would hurt, and how they take them out. She is scheduled to have the surgery next Friday (the 13th!) and so far is pretty calm about it. The office will call tomorrow to let us know what time to be there.

After we left the doctor's office we stopped to eat an early dinner at Applebee's in Springdale. We had such a good time just sitting there talking. I let Kristin talk me into a huge dessert...the Triple Chocolate Meltdown...(I think that took all of my extra Weight Watchers points for the week!). I was glad we were able to turn a doctors visit into a fun afternoon.




Is Chris trying to shake out her tonsils????

1 comment:

c said...

poor baby! She will feel better in a few weeks! Please tell me you will let her have all the ice cream she wants on V-day! Isn't nice to have a dr. who actually sees the problem and does not want to WAIT around to see if she gets another infection. I mean seriously I know these insurance companies have them by the hide but come on why delay what they know they will have to do anyway. Oh I will get off my soapbox now.

They did not remove the cyst b/c they can't it is located in the middle of the bone. They drilled a hole and drained it. Now they are checking to see if the cyst is full again. She has had some signs of infection again but we are hoping it is just random sinus junk.

Good luck on Friday the 13th! Oh what a day to have surgery!