Feb 3, 2011

SNOW DAYS!

Well, we had some big snow come through Monday night-Tuesday. It started Monday night with cold rain, then switched to freezing rain and was sleeting hard when I woke up around 5:30. I called Shawn and she decided to close the school. So I called the tv stations, watched the news for awhile, then went back to bed. K and I both woke up around 10:30 and it was snowing pretty hard. As soon as K saw it, she got dressed and dove in...literally!

We ended up with 7-10 inches, depending on who you talk to. I measure between 8-10 inches in my yard and driveway. The Joplin area got around 20 inches, which is just crazy. Anyway, we ended up with a good amount of snow and I LOVE it. It has been very very cold. Last night it was -5, a new record. The school has been closed, which is a record for Sunshine Montessori! Normally we stay open when it snows, but that's when we get a few inches...not several inches plus ice. Plus, it's been so so cold, it would be hard to keep the school warm. Besides that, we wouldn't have but a few kids there. So, K and I have been keeping busy on our days off.

Day 1, Tuesday

We just hung around the house, watched movies and played in the snow.

Day 2, Wednesday

I made Kristin do schoolwork. She tried to tell me I couldn't teach her because she's not a preschooler and I'm not Ms. Shawn, but she quickly gave in :) We also dove into some of her crafty gifts from Christmas that we were saving for a rainy (snowy) day. Kristin built her birdfeeder, wrote notes to several friends on her "design your own postcards," and we made a crystal tree. Of course we had to watch a movie. Today's choice: Finding Nemo.



After we got word that Sunshine would be closed another day, we baked our cake (at 10:00!). The mix I got was a gluten-free cake by Betty Crocker. Good stuff. But Kristin discovered that it was a "devils food cake" and immediately said, "I am NOT eating the devil's food!" Of course, that didn't stop her


Day 3, Today

As soon as we woke up this morning we conducted a science experiment...throwing boiling water in the air to watch it turn into a fine mist of snow. It was still only 10 degrees, but the weatherman said it needed to be zero or below to get the best results. But we went for it anyway, and poof....a mist of snow. Very cool!

K has written two more postcards, painted more of her birdfeeder, and we watched Enchanted. We are going to make snowcream later, I think this time we'll make chocolate :)

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm. We are supposed to get a little snow tomorrow and then possibly a few more inches Sunday-Monday. I love winter, though :)

Funnies from Kristin:

On Saturday, which was very wam, on the way to Fayetteville, Kristin suddenly said, "Look, it's so hot they turned on the fans!" It was windmills.

Later on the same trip, when we passed James at the Mill, K said, "That place is so beautiful! I love how they make it look old timey, you know like the 70's! I'm glad this isn't the 70's because then we'd have afros!"

No comments: