Mar 18, 2011

Day 2 at Disneyland and Ariel's Grotto



Day 2 was a big day for us. We started the day with another yummy breakfast, then got to the park at 10 to meet Jim. We stopped by City Hall to get our "first time visitor" buttons since we hadn't done that the day before and as soon as we did, we spotted Pinocchio and then Geppetto!


Kristin went right up to them and they seemed to be having a conversation about her pins. Kristin thought they might be looking to see if they were on any of the pins she had. And on a side note, I have to say that Kristin became a pin trading monster on this day. She really got into looking for cast members with pins. Jim informed us that her "hidden Mickey" pins are special since they can only be traded from CM's and not bought (unless you get them on ebay like we did!)...we didn't have a clue. She ended up with around 15 new pins and is so proud of them all! Anyway, back to Pinocchio and Geppetto...Kristin said they freaked her out a little, but she had fun with her first character interaction


We quickly hopped on the train for a ride around the park and then back to New Orleans Square. We rode Pirates of the Caribbean first and then Haunted Mansion. I LOVED PoC and so did Kristin...it's another on her favorites list. I was taken off guard by the first drop....I wasn't expecting it to be that big! The ride was great...really long, which some have said it's longer than the one at WDW, but I can't remember riding that one, so I really can't compare them. It was a great ride and Kristin flipped out when she first saw Jack Sparrow! I think it's really cool how The Blue Bayou is right there in the ride, but there really wasn't anything on the menu that we liked and for that price, I better be getting some food I like!! Plus, it's so dark in there.....anyway, I'm getting off track a little. Where was I? Oh yeah, the ride...it was great. Kristin eagerly searched NO Square in hopes of finding Captain Jack, but he was nowhere to be found :(

Nene and Kristin enjoying the train ride

Ready to find Jack Sparrow!!!


Haunted Mansion was good too. Knowing that the "stretching room" is lowering you into the basement while stretching upwards, just added to the creepiness for me! The three of us were at the back on the line and while walking up the corrider to the ride, I found myself looking behind me! ha! I love the look of the Haunted Mansion...an old Southern mansion...it fits so well into New Orleans Square!

We quickly ran back to Fantasyland to visit Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique. We'd planned on getting the whole makeup and hairdo before lunch at Ariel's Grotto, but instead I just let her pick a crown and hairpiece and I did Kristin's hair. Much cheaper and quicker. She'd brought a dress to wear to lunch, but decided to stay at the park and ride more rides instead of going to the hotel and changing :) That's my girl...part princess, part tomboy!

Ready to eat at the Grotto!


Lunch at Ariel's Grotto was great. Mom went back to our room while we ate. We made our way downstairs and K got her picture made with Ariel. Then we were seated and the food came out, and kept on coming! We were brought starfish shaped sourdough bread with butter and dipping sauce and a tower consisting of fruit and jello, veggies, and salad. Kristin LOVED the apple jello. Shortly after we were seated the "royal introductions" of the princesses began. First was Cinderella, then Sleeping Beauty, then Snow White, who told Kristin to "watch out for those red apples!" Finally, the final princess was announced and Kristin held her breath, hoping it would be.....BELLE!!! Yay! Kristin's favorite princess!!! She cheered when Belle was announced and beamed when Belle told her than she liked her hair :)




After mingling with the princesses, our dessert tray was brought out. It was SO GOOD. Most of it ended up going back to the hotel room because we were stuffed.


Our lunch was well worth the money. Oh wait, I forgot our entrees!!!! Kristin ate mac and cheese with fruit while I ate herb crusted chicken, mashed potatoes and veggies. Yum!

We finished our lunch and dragged ourselves back up the pier and to our hotel room. K did some swimming and then we took a quick nap. Tomorrowland was our next stop. We rode Astro Orbiter, Buzz Lightyear and then we saw....Captain Eo!!!! Now, the last time I saw Captain Eo was when I was at Tokyo Disneyland back in high school. I was so excited that they brought it back and we would be able to see it. Kristin loved it and it was as good as I remembered it!



Kristin wanted to go back to Fantasyland (imagine that!) and ride Alice in Wonderland, which really is a cute ride. While getting off the ride, Kristin started walking the wrong way and the CM told her "it's that way, Princess." Kristin just giggled and said "She thinks I'm a princess!!" We also rode the Storybook Land Canal Boats which is a great ride. We stayed in Fantasyland for the fireworks and had a perfect view of Tinkerbell "flying" from the Matterhorn to the castle. Whoever that was is brave, because it looked to me like she was really close to those fireworks! We decided the next night to watch from the front of the castle to get the full effect, which turned out to be not such a great idea.....more on that in the next post.





After the fireworks, we were first in line for Mr. Toad...and then we rode it again, followed by Snow White's Scary Adventure. I'd read that something would happen if you try to move the apple as you go into the ride, but I didn't tell Kristin...she grabbed that apple and BOOM! A huge clap of thunder! It was hilarious! Apparently no one else knew it would do anything...people started coming back to see if they could get it to go off. Too much fun!


Mom ditched us after Snow White, while Kristin and I kept going till midnight. We rode the carousel again, along with a few others and visited Mad Hatter for some much needed Mickey ears :) For supper we ate hot dogs on Main Street then shared a churro for dessert while sitting in front of the castle. It was a great night!!!!



Here's the link to the rest of my Day 2 photos...enjoy!

No comments: