Apr 18, 2010

Green Thumb

Yesterday Kristin and I spent the chilly, drizzly, dreary day ignoring the weather and working on our gardens. Last night and early today I regreted that decision, but more on that later. I decided not to use the garden space I've used the past couple of years, but instead to make a raised garden. So, off to Walmart/Lowes/Atwoods we went and came back with....three bags of soil, raised garden kit, potato growing kit, seeds (lettuce, green beans, okra, chives and oregano), sweet yellow pepper and green bell pepper plants. Kristin also picked some flower seeds for the front yard, so I got her a greenhouse to get those started in. We had a great time digging and planting! Here's our little garden. I've got the chives and oregano growing in the kitchen.



Remember the garden space I said I wasn't going to use anymore? Well, last year I planted strawberries there and had no clue that they come back! So, I have strawberries growing amongst the grass, weeds, and rabbit nest. I guess it will end up being my strawberry patch!



This afternoon K planted the flower seeds in her greenhouse. Actually she planted half, got bored, and I did the rest. She will be into the transferring of the plants when they start growing, when she will be able to dig and get dirty! This is the first time we've done the greenhouse. I've got it in the kitchen window...hopefully it will work.



Remember how I said I regretted working outside all day yesterday? Last night I was broken out, head to toe, in hives/itchy bumpy rash! I took lots of benadryl and when I woke up this morning the rash was gone, but my eyes were still swollen. I've had horrible allergy issues the past few weeks and am seriously considering going to an allergist so I can start taking shots again.

Those of you who know me best know that I am not a plant person. I'm sure Mandy and Alison remember the cactus and philodendron that I managed to kill back in college. How I killed a cacuts, I'll never know, but I did it! Anyway, after Chris' funeral I ended up with 4 plants, one of which has 4 different plants in one pot, which I will later have to transfer, so really, it's 8 plants! But I am happy to report that they are all living and doing well. Here is my beautiful peace lily about to bloom again :)



BABY BUNNY REPORT
The baby rabbits are still alive and growing...in fact while I was checking on the strawberries, one hopped out of the nest! I managed to get a picture of him before he hopped away. The other three are still in the nest, they aren't quite as big as the one who left. Hopefully after they leave they will not be back to eat my strawberries!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Oh the cactus!

Hey...I don't have a green thumb either, but we have some Peace Lillies from my Mother-in-Law's funeral (in 2005) that are still thriving. When they start to droop...just water...they will be hard to kill. Well, except if you leave them outside in direct sunlight in the heatwave of the summer...then they will burn up (not that I have experience with that!).