Apr 24, 2010

We're G-Free!


We've taken the plunge into the g-free world! Several years ago, before K was born, my doctor suggested I go on a g-free diet to help with my probable irritable bowel syndrome. But do you think I did?? No way! I wasn't about to give up my bread! So, life went on, with headaches, daily stomach issues, rashes, etc. Then recently I've noticed many of the same problems with K, but I never thought about going gluten free until she was diagnosed with ADHD (and I realized I was too). I read all the time about how much a g-free diet helps with adhd, so finally we've decided to try it. So far, it's going pretty well. We've had fewer headaches and stomach problems. K had a migraine last night, but it wasn't as bad a usual. K has been very agreeable about the food she can't have anymore and we've been happy to discover some of our favorites, like Cocoa Pebbles, are already g-free! And she does not have the bread obsession that I have. Really, I could eat nothing but bread and be happy. I could eat just bread dipped in olive oil and be perfectly happy. So, I've tried several bread mixes and they are awesome! I'm so happy I don't have to give up bread! But they are a little pricey, so I plan on visiting a local store tomorrow where I can get the flours I need (brown rice, sorghum, tapioca, etc) to make my own bread. Luckily I love to cook, so I'm enjoying the challenge of cooking with new ingredients and thinking how to change our favorite recipes to be g-free. So, this is our newest adventure, and I think it will be a successful one!

We are staying busy busy busy! Every weekend we have something going on. I don't know how this always happens, but it does, and it's not even summer yet! I'm looking forward to the summer...we've got a couple of trips planned, which will be fun. Kristin is most looking forward to our visit to Florida to see Uncle Kenny and Aunt Connie...it will be her first plane ride, first trip to Florida, first time to see the ocean. Can't wait!!!!

No comments: